Packed With Pride
There are not many titles I would want more than one I’ve had now for close to 24 years and that is the title of “dad.” Most of us get into the whole parenting thing without much training and like everything else in life we have our good moments and less than stellar ones. We usually don’t take time to reflect on the role we play in our children’s lives but every so often a milestone in their lives is on the horizon and we ponder not just the moment but the whole package.
This Sunday, my wife and I will be escorting our daughter, our oldest child, down the wedding aisle. As the date gets closer I am a collage of emotions but the one that stands out most to me at this point is pride. It is a pride borne out, yes from my own parenting but more so from my daughter’s own journey of personal growth. While my wife and I surely have something to do with it, I never cease to be amazed at the choices she’s made, including this one and the determination used to make them.
I admit, I am not sad to see her leave the house or feeling an imminent sense of loss like one sees in the faces fathers in romantic comedy movies. I am not the type of father who thinks no one is good enough for my little girl. I actually encouraged independence and always (jokingly, but not really) told my kids that at 18 “they are out of here.” I accept that as my children get older so do I. I also realize that as they become more independent I don’t worry about them any less.
When I walk my daughter down that aisle I will not wonder where all the time went. I will be thankful that my baby girl has spent every day of her life amazing her parents and peers and constantly topping all previous accomplishments. I will reflect on a child who would not accept any limitations set on her by others, who set goals and achieved them, who exceeded expectations, overcame obstacles and never backed away from a challenge. I will wish for her eternal love and lifelong happiness. I will pray that she gets as much joy from her children as I have from her and her siblings. Most importantly, I will wish her a partnership as deep and understanding as her parents have.
I often joke that I did not really begin to appreciate my father until I was about 30, I expect no less from my kids. It is hard to understand what goes through someone’s mind until you experience the same thing. As I approach this experience I can only thank my kids for giving me the best years of my life. I hope that despite my very human capabilities I have imparted knowledge and love that will sustain them in the future.
Jews bless brides and grooms to build a faithful home amongst Israel. Today I bless my daughter the bride and her groom to build a strong, faithful home that will shine upon the whole open world.
No comments:
Post a Comment