Tuesday, October 2, 2012

God, It’s Judgment Day For You Too


As Rosh Hashana, the Jewish new year approaches I am reminded of a skit from the 70’s in which Gilda Radner playing Roseanne Rosanandana on Saturday Night Live goes to Times Square to report on the revelry bringing in the new year. Dumbfounded, she reports that no one is there to celebrate and no matter how many times her colleagues back in the studio try to tell her that it’s the Jewish new year not December 31st, she doesn’t get it and continues to talk over them reporting back on the lack of celebrators.
Jews do celebrate the arrival of a new year differently than the rest of the world. Ours is a more solemn occasion. Our culture influenced by the religious traditions of thousands of years force us to use the days as a time of reflection and repentance. We sit in judgment before the Master of the Universe who on these days decides if we shall live or die, become rich or poor or find happiness or sorrow. Our synagogues fill up more than on the rest of the year either from all the guests and family who have joined to celebrate with relatives, or just those who come only for such important holidays.
While growing up I learned to fear this time of year, after all I might receive a death sentence. I’ve grown older now and I see the High Holidays from a different perspective. It is not just a day for God to judge us but also a day for us to critique God. While I can almost hear the cries of blasphemy emanating from the minds of some readers, understand that in order to criticize God, you have to believe in Him. While I find comfort in the channel of communication given to me by my Orthodox upbringing, I don’t for a second believe that it is the only legitimate form of communication with God.
I will stand in synagogue and cry with the rest of my congregation as we appeal to God to show us mercy. I will also stand there and demand of Him to end the hideous violence that saturates His earth, to end illness and premature death and to lift those impoverished because of a wrecked world economy and natural disasters. I will beseech Him to shut down the ranting of zealots who stand in judgment of others, who play God’s policemen and attempt to enforce their own perverted vision of His commandments. I will beg God to show us a sign that He never intended for hatred and persecution to be carried out in His name. Mostly, I want God to let us know that to Him the content of our character means more than the size of our head covering.
Some years back a prominent Orthodox rabbi said in an interview on CNN that he would rather that people do not attend synagogue than to go to a Conservative or Reform Shul. Similarly, an Orthodox rabbi in this neighborhood at a meeting I attended told the board of directors of a charitable organization that assisted people affected by the financial crisis, that if they include a certain Conservative rabbi on a proposed rabbinic advisory board he would not participate. Ironically, this same rabbi made himself out to be a champion of civil rights when in his previous posting in a mid-west city, Reform and Conservative Jews objected to the expansion of his congregation in the middle of their residential neighborhood.
Now is the time for us to reflect, repent and ask God for His mercy. It is also the time for us to stand up and cry out that God live up to His side of the bargain. The world may have a huge population, the biggest ever and getting bigger. But it is smaller and more interconnected than ever before. He may be watching us, but now we see everything He does – in real time. Much of it is not pretty and outright destructive. We have more to question and more to call Him out on. This New Year I don’t just pray for forgiveness, I pray for answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment